What is an LED?
Where have LEDs been used in the lighting industry?
Why does the identical LED chip package lumen depreciate
at different rates from manufacturer to manufacturer?
What's the difference between efficiency and efficacy?
Efficacy is a term normally used in cases where the input and output units differ. In lighting, we are concerned with the amount of light (in lumens) produced by a certain amount of electricity (in watts). Efficacy = Lumens Per Watt
Why are LEDs considered a GREEN technology?
Assuming an HID fixture is re-lamped every two years, that’s five re-lamping cycles over a 10 year period. Just imagine the benefits of choosing LED:
• No concern over proper disposal (hopefully not simply thrown in a landfill) of old HID lamps containing harmful mercury.
• No fuel used and the accompanying pollution to service those fixtures.
• Greatly reduced potential for lane closures and other productivity and inconvenience-related costs associated with maintaining an HID system.
• No natural resources lost to produce the replacement lamps that contain mercury.
• No fuel used to move old-technology lamps from the factory (most likely overseas), to the distributor, to the contractor, to the job site.
It’s important to keep in mind all the positive and powerful ripple effects that using LED technology can have on the environment.
How are LEDs able to outperform HID?
BetaLED luminaires also have an environmental advantage in that they contain no mercury, are RoHS compliant, last longer and produce less waste. De hecho, 20 a 25% (by weight) of the product is made using post-consumer recycled materials (aluminum castings and extrusions). Furthermore, 70% (by weight) of BetaLED fixtures are readily recyclable. The remaining LED circuit boards, drivers, wires and connectors are all non-hazardous, mercury-free, and RoHS compliant.
If an LED fixture has lower initial lumen output than a traditional HID light,
how can LED claim to deliver lumens more efficiently than HID?
The MH’s lumen depreciation, as well as optical and ballast losses, quickly reduce output of the HID system. Note that there are three relamps over 60,000 horas.
Conversely, LED has significantly better lumen maintenance and a more efficient driver. Also note that the LED fixture typically doesn’t need relamping from zero to 60,000 horas.
Combine this with Beta’s exclusive NanoOptic and LED outperforms MH over the course of the life of the fixture.
Result: the LED’s average delivered lumens is 74% higher than HID over 60,000 horas.